Thank you Brendan Brazier for creating an incredible product and program called Thrive Forward! This is a free program to help guide you towards a plant based diet through nutrition tips and delicious vegan recipes like this incredible pancake recipe below.
Chocolate pancakes packed with protein? Um, yes please! Not only are they delicious, they will leave you satiated throughout the morning because of the added protein. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 cup gluten-free oats, ground
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup chocolate flavored protein powder (such as Vega Sport Performance Protein, or Vega One (use 1/2 scoop if using either Vega product))
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 banana, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Coconut oil
- Combine ground oats, apple sauce, protein powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla in a blender or mixing bowl. Let sit for a few minutes.
- Heat a pan over medium-low heat. Melt coconut oil and swirl or spread in pan until cooking surface is evenly oiled.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter per pancake into pan. When edges start to look dry and bubbles start to form in the center of the pancake, dot each pancake with chocolate chips and slices of banana, allowing them to sink into the batter.
- Flip pancake and cook another 3 to 5 minutes on the other side, until just golden brown.
- Check for doneness by lifting edge of the pancake. Chocolate chips and bananas have high sugar content and may burn or stick if cooked too long or in too hot a pan. (It is better to cook these pancakes slowly on lower heat than to rush them over higher heat).
- Unless you have a very large pan, this batter makes more than one pan of pancakes. Wipe the pan clean of melted chocolate and re-oil with before making a second batch.
- Serve with fresh fruit and optional shredded coconut and a hint of maple syrup, although you don’t really need it!