You can get a double dose of protein with these vegetarian quinoa chickpea burgers. Both quinoa and chickpeas pack in the plant based protein. If you want to make them a little more moist, you can add the egg, which adds another 6g of protein to the whole batch.
They are naturally gluten-free as long as you use gluten free flour and serve them in lettuce wraps or just to snack on. I love to dip them into the Greek yogurt Sriracha sauce below!
Sriracha Yogurt Dipping Sauce:
Take equal part plain Greek yogurt with equal part Sriracha and mix together until blended. Adjust Sriracha for desired hotness!
Quinoa Chickpea Burgers:
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup canned chickpeas (rinsed)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro (chopped)
1 egg (if you want them vegan, leave out)
2 tablespoons flour (gluten free is what I use)
Dash of cumin (optional)
Dash of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon coconut oil (for cooking)
- Put chickpeas into a food processor (or blender) until they become like a paste.
- Add the quinoa, cilantro, optional egg, flour and seasoning and process or blend a bit more.
- Take a plate and sprinkle some extra flour onto it. Take chickpea quinoa mixture and form into small balls.
- Press each ball into the floured dish and form patties, coated in flour.
- Heat a skillet on medium high heat and add coconut oil.
- Place the patties in the skillet and fry until slightly browned, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Serve patties inside a lettuce wrap or on top of a bed of greens. Add extra veggies as garnish and optional dipping sauce for an extra kick.