Dressed up? Dressed down? How do you like your veggie burger?
My newest food obsession has been Hilary’s Veggie Burgers. I’ve been a pescatarian now for 10 years and vegetarian for 5 years prior to that and let me tell you, it’s not been easy to find a tasty veggie burger that checks these 2 boxes:
Soy-free: So many veggie burgers out their have soy protein isolates in their ingredient list. No thanks! They are the most processed form of soy that should be avoided. I’m all for eating minimally processed soy like edamame, tempeh and even a bit of tofu, but I like to steer clear of isolates.
Gluten-free: Again, many other veggie burgers out there use gluten as a binder for their products and to me, is completely unnecessary. Gluten is an inflammatory agent found in wheat, rye and barley and has harmful effects when eaten in large amounts (like most Americans do).
Hilary’s veggie burgers also happen to be vegan, which is great, but not a necessity in my nutritional philosophy.
My Strong, Safe & Sexy meal plan featured on ABC’s new weight-loss reality show, My Diet is Better Than Yours, is a pescatarian and gluten-free diet that is mainly plant-based with small amounts of fish and seafood included.
Therefore, when in a rush and you don’t have time to make your own veggie burgers, like these Quinoa Chickpea burgers, having Hilary’s in the freezer is the best solution for an upgraded burger night.
World’s Best Veggie Burger
Hemp & Greens (my favorite)
My favorite way to make a Hilary’s veggie burger is the following:
- Defrost a veggie patty in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Add a teaspoon of coconut oil to a pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook your veggie burger until each side starts to crisp and place it on some butter lettuce leaves.
- In the same pan, crack an egg and cook to your liking (mine is over easy).
- Put a slice of cheese on your burger and top with an egg.
- Add some type of pickled vegetable to your plate for a probiotic punch: pickles, kimchi (featured below) or some good ol’ fashioned kraut (my fave brand: Farmhouse Culture).
- Go bunless by using the butter lettuce or add a gluten-free bun to the mix (i use just half).
Delicious, nutritionist approved and Strong, Safe & Sexy too!
Dig in and let us know what you think!
VEGGIE BURGER GIVEAWAY CONTEST ALERT!
Hilary’s EatWell and I are giving away over $30 worth of product to one lucky winner (in the United States):
Here’s how to enter to win:
- Leave a comment below saying why you love veggie burgers and why Hilary’s may be the one for you!
For a bonus:
- Head over to my Instagram account for a second way to win. Look for this picture here on the right, make sure:
– You like the photo.
– You are following @JennCassetta
– Leave a comment there on why you would love to win!
You must live in the United States and the winner will receive coupons that they can take to the following retailers that carry Hilary’s: Whole Foods, Sprouts, Earth Fare, Krogers
Redeem your coupons for:
4 Free Packages of Veggie Burgers (8 total)
4 Free Dressings
Or however you’d like to use the coupons on Hilary’s products!
UPDATE: The contest is now closed. Brianna is the winner! An email has been sent to you with instructions on how to claim your prize. Congratulations!