You will want this pizza! This Cauliflower Crust Pizza is Strong, Safe & Sexy approved because it is gluten free and high in nutrients and flavor. Pizza night is back on the menu with this recipe.
I love to cook Italian cuisine because 1. i love the food and 2. because i feel connected to my Italian roots. But, traditional Italian cooking isn’t always so friendly to a fitness plan due to the amount of wheat flour used in the breads, pastas and pizzas. So, I made this special treat for Valentine’s Day dinner, but it is strong, safe & sexy enough for any night of the week. Serve with a side of gluten free pasta, a delicious salad and a smooth glass of wine. Or, just serve it as the entire meal. Your call! Here’s the recipe:
Cauliflower Crust Pizza: Strong, Safe & Sexy Approved
2 1/2 cups cauliflower, grated (about 1/2 a large head)
1 cup gluten free flour
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or sliced mozzarella
4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon oregano
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup tomato sauce, or more depending on your taste
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
Fresh basil leaves, optional
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, and preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Grate the cauliflower using a box grater until you have two cups of cauliflower crumbles. Or, if you can find a bag of riced cauliflower like the one I bought at Trader Joe’s pictured here, you can skip this step and just use the whole bag.
- Place in a large bowl and microwave for six to seven minutes, or until soft. Remove from the microwave and let cool.
- Try to squeeze some of the excess water from the cauliflower. You can do this using a cheesecloth, or just pouring out the excess water from the bowl.
- Mix in the egg, oregano, parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper. This is also where you will add the flour. However, you can make the pizza without the flour. I prefer it because without it, the mixture is very moist and takes longer to cook. Once combined, pat into a 10-inch circle on the prepared pizza pan. Tip: try to flatten out the middle so it is less thick than the edges. This will allow the middle to cook all the way through.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Top the pizza with the sauce, mozzarella, and red pepper flakes.
- Bake in the oven until melted and bubbly, another 10-15 minutes. Top with basil before serving.Tip: You can use any toppings you want like: olives, onions, broccoli, peppers, eggplant, etc. Just be sure that your cauliflower crust is mostly cooked through before topping and re-baking. Cooking times be different for each oven.
If you are looking to try a gluten free diet, I have a Strong, Safe & Sexy Gluten Free 21 Day Meal Plan available for you. 3 weeks of meal planning, recipes and weekly shopping lists to guide you to a new way of eating that is delicious, anti-inflammatory and nutritious too!
Leave a comment below with any questions or comments if you try the recipe!